How to Protect Your Hardwood Floors From Your Kids and Pets
Taking preventative measures to stop your kids from tracking dirt inside or scuffing your flooring is a great way to reduce your cleaning time and avoid damage. There are several methods you can use to protect your flooring from your kids and pets and keep them in the best shape possible.
- Create a play area not covered with hardwood flooring: Toys and other rambunctious activities can easily scrape off the protective coating and create dents in your flooring.
- Avoid dragging: Dragging furniture will scuff your floor. You can avoid this by applying anti-scuff pads to chair legs and adding a protective layer under your furniture.
- Adding rugs and runners: Covering your floors in high traffic areas with area rugs and runners will prevent scuffing and prolong the lifespan of your hardwood flooring and add another dimension to your interior decorating scheme.
- Leaving shoes at the door: Train your kids to take their shoes off before they come inside. This will leave the dirt and grass on the bottom of their shoes at the door.
- Trim your pet’s nails: Long, sharp pet nails can severely scratch the top coating of your floor. Additionally, check your pet’s paws for gravel if it has been running around in areas not covered by grass. Some people go as far as having them wear booties inside.
Combining these preventive damage measures will leave your floors in good condition for years.
Let’s Talk About Keeping Hardwood Floors Clean With Kids and Pets
If you have kids and pets cleaning hardwood floors can be easy if you use simple, safe techniques. Some of the best ways to clean your hardwood floors include:
- Vacuum or sweep up dirt particles regularly: This will prevent dirt from getting ground into the wood.
- Cleaning with a lint-free cloth: As soon as spills happen, clean them with paper towels or a soft fabric that will absorb the liquid without leaving any residue behind.
- Using a nontoxic wood cleaner: It’s always a good idea to use a cleaner designed to treat your hardwood flooring and maintain its appearance and strength.
For the best results, try using these cleaning methods together. Besides eliminating dirt and messes, these hardwood floor cleaning hacks will keep your floors safe for kids and pets.